Translate

Sunday 18 March 2012

Day in London

Yesterday J had a course in London. P had been on the website and planned our journey. It should have been nice and straightforward but it wasn't. It was very complicated and long. This was because there were 'planned engineering works' which they obviously didn't feel it was necessary to mention on the website. In the end J was only half an hour late and all the others, including the tutor, had been late as well. 


The course was held in a school near St. Paul's Cathedral, this area being our old stamping ground from when I used to go for appointments at Barts Hospital. It was nice to be back (and actually I love central London) but it has changed a lot. One good change was a new shopping centre called 'One New Change', bit of a strange name if you ask me. Only thing was it was raining quite a lot and being in the wheelchair and not moving I got really cold. Thankfully J had left his coat with me and I kept it wrapped round my legs and had my rain cover on top. We went straight to a cafe and had Moroccan peppermint tea and a totally amazing chocolate cake (picture to follow) but got rather a shock when we got the bill. This actually included a service charge, for tea and cake!



The shopping centre was quite good but most of the walkways were open to the air so I was still cold.d I bought a cardigan and skirt which is a bit small, well quite a lot small, and another t shirt for J. We ate our peanut butter and marmite sandwiches under an underpass then went hunting for the CLC (Christian) bookshop which used to be in High Holborn but it had moved to another road. On the way we passed an old church which was open so we had a look inside and there was a music group practising and it was wonderfully warm so we had quite a long look round. 


I love the CLC bookshop and could buy it all up. We ended up buying three books: a Bible study guide, a 'Teach Yourself Hebrew' book, more on that later and I got 'Surprised by the Voice of God' by Jack Deere. I've read 'Surprised by the Power of the Spirit' by him and it was very good.


Then we had some freshly squeezed juice in a cafe, again expensive and wandered across the millenium bridge.


J really enjoyed his course which is good and we had an enjoyable, if rather cold and expensive day.

No comments: