Translate

Friday 24 February 2012

Night driving, a trip to the doctors and beetroot soup

P had a meeting last night so I had to go and get J after his theatre trip. I left in plenty of time, not wishing to have another late-picking-up-from-school-trip-teachers-looking-at-me-with tight-lipped expressions situation. Then half way there the traffic ground to a halt. I sat there for quite a while thinking 'I just don't believe this,' then decided to turn round and go another way. The other way involved a very twisty road and as I hate driving in the dark anyway it was quite scary and there was an impatient queue of cars behind me. Finally seeing the lights of the town ahead of me was a great relief and I made it just in time. Don't know what the hold-up was, when I went home the road was clear and there was no sign of an accident.

J had a really good time and enjoyed the play anyway.

Went to the doctors this morning as I've got a funny scabby thing on my back but he said it was harmless. Saw two old ladies from church there, both of whom had had falls and hurt themselves poor things. 

It's always a bit awkward making conversation at the doctors. The words 'What are you here for?' sort of hang unsaid in the air. I thought if I said I'd got this thing on my back the next thing I knew it would be round the village that I'd got skin cancer. I remember the time I couldn't pick J up from preschool because I'd bumped into a fence which had been left in the wrong place and part of the car bumper detached itself and there were wires dangling down and I thought should I just tuck them in and carry on regardless, perhaps better not. Anyway as a result of my phone call to preschool it went round that I'd been injured in a terrible car accident. That's villages for you. 

I'm having Waitrose Beetroot, Buckwheat and Tomato soup for lunch (you may have guessed there's been a special offer on luxury soups). Interesting flavour, bit muddy, but beats the Lobster Bisque hands down.

No comments: