Translate

Saturday 4 April 2009

Yesterday after school there was a little reception to say goodbye to the headmaster who's leaving. It's a shame he's going cos he's very nice but he's going off to do charity work which is very worthwhile.
It was a nice reception but I was sitting in the wheelchair with J's schoolbag, lunch box, coat & PE kit piled on my lap & I spent several minutes stranded like that in the middle of the room with no-one to talk to & I just can't handle that sort of thing very well. Social occasions are difficult with the wheelchair, I can't just go over & talk to someone, I can't just sidle up & join in conversations, I'm nearly always at tummy (or bottom!) level with the people I'm talking to & most people seem really awkward like they don't know what to say to me. What I feel like shouting is 'Hey, I'm just a normal person!'
What is perhaps the worst is people who come up & start talking to the person with me while completely ignoring me & sometimes even bashing me with their shoulder bag. You wouldn't believe how many bags I've been bashed with.

J has (very reluctantly) gone off on a hike with the cubs. I'm sure he'll enjoy it though, well actually I'm not sure, he might enjoy it.

It's nice & sunny so I think I'm going to sit outside.

No comments: