Translate

Thursday 16 April 2009

Haven't been able to write anything for a few days as been busy, busy, busy but here's a quick update:
  • We spent Maundy Thursday at Old Warden air museum. I think P could look at old aeroplanes for ever ('just look at those struts!') but after 3 hours J & I had definitely had enough & retreated to the restaurant to eat cake. They also have a bird of prey centre & we watched 2 displays which J absolutely loved. It was good but I found it a bit disconcerting when a hawk pulled the head off a chick right in front of me then sprayed me with feathers.
  • In the evening P & I went to the Maundy Thursday supper & communion while J was at Tim's. Supper was really good, succumbed to temptation to have second helping of pavlova.
  • Good Friday service quite short & simple but still moving. In the afternoon spent an hour in prayer room while P took J for a walk. I was really looking forward to just sitting quietly but the person who was there with me kept chatting. Trouble is she's quite a lonely person so just enjoyed chance to get out. When she saw I was down to do 2 hours on Saturday she said she'd like to come too. I spent most of the time on Saturday writing out prayers on post-its to put on the wall. I also did a painting of the empty tomb with a hill with 3 crosses in the background. I think my effort could be generally said to be pathetic. On Sunday P did a painting of exactly the same scene which was about 200 times better. We had quite a few people turn up for the prayer rooms, considering some people had families visiting & others were away.
  • About 15 of us turned up for breakfast at 8.30 on Easter Sunday. I just had fruit but there was cereal, croissants & toast as well. There was a very nice atmosphere but it seemed a bit of a wait until the service at 10.30. I felt I had to sit at the front as the church has been rearranged - they've lowered the platform so the musicians go on there now & in front of them are several rows of chairs for children, To the side at the front they've put chairs for disabled people so I felt I'd better sit there. I'm not used to being right at the front, I felt I had to keep looking really interested during the sermon. It also became apparent that having the children alone at the front away from the supervision of their parents could have certain disadvantages. It was a nice lively service anyway. By the end of the day I was tired out which was a shame as P's Dad came over for dinner & I was struggling to keep awake. Still I think he enjoyed it. J really enjoyed his Easter eggs as well, so did I actually. P had made a simnel cake but I just didn't have room for any.

No comments: