Translate

Saturday 30 August 2008

P & J have so far spent an hour and a half trying to put up the tent. Meanwhile I've been watching last night's 'The Tudors' on iplayer. (I cried when Thomas More got executed). We missed it because we decided to take the 'scenic' route back from Ely. I don't know if they have something against signposts in the fens but there seemed to be a marked shortage of them, we would come to a T junction & there would be no indication at all of which way to go so we kept getting lost. It took 3 hours to get home as opposed to an hour and a half getting there so we were all tired. I'm still really tired today but I managed to do a load of washing seeing as it's such a nice sunny day.
We had a really good time in Ely. It is a fascinating place. We arrived about 11.30 & had a drink in the cathedral coffee shop then went to friend's house & then all went to really interesting old restaurant in some sort of crypt. I had asparagus & stilton quiche & chips & salad which was really yummy. It was nice to see friend & her grandson again & J behaved very well during lunch. He had cod & chips which was the only thing on the menu he would eat. It would have been a bit embarrassing if there was nothing on the menu he would eat.
Afterwards we went round the shops, there was a really interesting toy shop cum model shop cum bike shop cum craft shop which managed to have something of interest for us all. Then we went to Christian bookshop which had a good selection. Lady in there was very chatty, her sons had been at Faith Camp. I bought three books ( two form bargain section) & J got a game called 'Mission'. P has been playing it with him today, he lost.
Then we went to the museum which J found really interesting. It's in the old gaol & there's some reconstructed cells upstairs. They had a stairlift that you sit on & a wheelchair at the top so somebody doesn't have to carry your wheelchair up. The only thing was the stairs are pretty steep & going down was a bit scary. I suppose I shouldn't have looked down but I was thinking 'Do these things ever come off their rails?' I suppose they can't really.
After that we found there wasn't time for P & J to go up the cathedral towers (what a shame, I was deprived of chance to spend a couple of hours sitting waiting for them). Instead we went to evensong which we all enjoyed, even J! The choir were all girls & they were really good. I could have sat & listened for hours.
Then we went for a walk down to the river, there were some horses in a field which looked quite striking against background of cathedral & some really cute ducklings in park just by river. On the way back we discovered I'd got a flat wheelchair tyre but we were nearly at the car by then.
All in all it was a really good day but we'll have to go back some time so they can go up towers.
I'd better go & find out how tent is doing.

No comments: