Translate

Friday 15 August 2008

Grrr

It's been a bit of a while since I wrote anything but life has been hectic of late. Faith Camp was truly awesome but I can't really put into words what it was like, perhaps I'll talk about it more later. We all really enjoyed it especially J who loved the children's group he was in and also enjoyed the bungee trampoline. We're even contemplating going again next year and camping. There seemed to be such a good community spirit among the campers and also of the food on sale J would only eat chicken nuggets and bacon rolls. It might be easier if we were preparing our own food.

Our hotel to be honest was just a bit on the grotty side. We know where not to stay again.




Much as I enjoyed Faith Camp I found it totally exhausting and still haven't got over it. Conversely since we've got back somehow J has got more energy and is rushing around far more than he was before. I'm finding it quite hard to keep up with him. This week he has been doing sport at a local leisure centre with his friend and is coming out and wanting to go swimming. His swimming is really coming on: he is now confidently jumping off the diving board which he wouldn't do last year.


Yesterday we met up with my brother and his children which was really nice. My elder niece and I had a girly shopping trip while the others went to the playground in the park. Then we met up with P and had lunch in an Italian restaurant which was really good.


This morning J had an appointment with the paediatrician. By coincidence he was feeling ill with a sore throat and tummy ache. I was really hoping it would be helpful but I think it was a mistake trying to get J's developmental problems and his illness sorted out at the same time because the doctor decided the illness symptoms were down to anxiety re writing etc. He said J's co-ordination problems were not severe enough for him to diagnose him as dyspraxic and if we wanted to go to a psychologist and get a label put on him it would cost us £300.


 I don't know if I'm being paranoid but I felt the doctor just had a really strange attitude to me. He seemed to be placing more weight on what P said the whole time and he noted that P was a school governor and used to be a teacher.

Then he turned to me and said "What about you?"

"Do you mean what job did I do?"

"No, I want to know why you're in a wheelchair, it's obviously relevant to J's problems."

Anyway he concluded by saying J's perfectly healthy and he just picks up bugs and they're worse cos he's anxious about school and I should just keep him off if he's got a temperature and I said that sometimes he looks really ill even though he hasn't got a temp and he said perhaps we need to move the criteria sometimes and I need to be tougher and P agreed and I said I spent all of Years 2 and 3 dragging J into school and I know about being tough but it's really hard when I'm in the situation of deciding if he's ill or not and it's easy for P at work on the other end of the phone to say 'send him to school'. 

Then I turned to J and said "Are you anxious about school?" 

"No."  

The doctor said we hadn't got time to talk anymore, goodbye. 

Quite in what way any of this was meant to help I'd like to know.

But anyway in spite of everything I'm still trusting God, I know he's going to get us through all this illness stuff and out the other side and now I'm off to town to scoot round the shops a bit before picking up the boys.

No comments: