Translate

Saturday 23 August 2008

Livening up the church coffee morning

What I normally do on a Wednesday morning is go to the church coffee morning. This is normally ok, Becky turns up, we have a chat, there's some other nice people to talk to, there's toasted teacakes and biscuits, it's nice to get out etc.etc

Anyway I give a lift to someone called Mavis who can't walk very well and the coffee morning is a real social event for her which makes it a bit difficult when it's the school hols and I've got J because she still really wants to go and nobody else offers to take her. I have been taking along Adam as well and he and J have been playing quietly on their DS lites, no problem.


This week after sitting doing this for a while they suddenly jumped up and started playing 'tag'. Now this does not work that well in a church hall full of elderly people having a coffee morning, so I told them to go outside. They did, then burst back in, dashed into one of the rooms, banging the door, then dashed out again, then in again, getting louder and louder and rowdier and rowdier. I can't run so couldn't catch them and Becky wasn't there. I didn't even feel I'd got the strength to walk across room to them. I kept calling out to J to behave but he ignored me. They're not normally like this, I don't know what came over them.

I don't want to go into the details of all that happened, let's just say the other adults were not totally understanding about the challenges facing disabled parents and I ended up feeling annoyed with just about everyone. We certainly livened up the coffee morning but I don't know if I dare take them next week.

No comments: