Translate

Saturday 23 August 2008

You can't treat disabled people like this!

Now my mood was not about to get any better. This was because in the post arrived a copy of the letter from the paediatrician to our GP about J. As I've said this doctor did sort of wind me up a bit.

I'll just mention that P can't see anything wrong with it at all. What it said about him was 'J's father is an ex-Secondary School teacher and is a School Governor'.

What annoyed me was: 'The family history is significant here in that J is an only child and his mother is wheelchair bound from CFS/ME...' 

There just seemed to be three assumptions implicit in this:

1) That if I was sitting in a wheelchair in his office I was 'wheelchair bound' which I'm not.
2) That if you are an only child and you have problems those problems are likely to be connected to you being an only child.
3) That there is an association between my illness and J's problems.

Now all this could be true but what I would like to know is why is my health of relevance but P wasn't quizzed about his at all?


Why is his employment history important but mine isn't? I mean it could have said 'mother is a trained Biomedical Scientist with a qualification in Health Service Management and father suffers from quite severe hypothyroidism.' It could, couldn't it?

I keep wondering if I should write to him but I don't know if it would do any good.


H also said J was 'an extremely quiet and reserved youngster'. Should have seen him at the coffee morning!


Anyway basically what he said was he doesn't know what's wrong with J ( other than being an only child and a having mother in wheelchair) and can't suggest anything at all to help and 'distinguishing how much is anxiety, how much is ill health and how much is 'don't know' is very difficult.'


You're telling me it's difficult!

But really the strange thing about J is that since we've been to Faith Camp he just seems to have had a lot more energy and been able to do more than he could before. I can't explain it really, he isn't totally not ill any more but he just seems to be better than he was. He says he asked God to heal him at Faith Camp. Perhaps...


It will be interesting to see what happens when school starts again.

No comments: