Translate

Friday 7 May 2010

Election night

Last night I went out to a local pub to celebrate birthdays of 2 people at church. Had good time although live music was a bit loud at times so a bit hard to hear what people saying. But generally a good time (& there were free bowls of chips). When I got home I grabbed a pillow & some throws, got a hot drink & a bowl of cereal & settled down to stay up all night to watch the election results. P thinks this behaviour is completely insane but I grew up with very politically active parents & my Dad used to stand as a Liberal candidate & my brother & I used to address envelopes & deliver leaflets & sit outside polling stations writing down lists of numbers & be rent-a-crowd for pictures in the local paper & all sorts of things. Anyway I've always stayed up to watch the results. But last night was just so dismal. I don't know if you stayed up too & thought the same but because the TV presenters were desperately trying to find trends in the early results where there weren't any & because they had to talk about something they were just talking a load of rubbish. So I fell asleep. At 5 am I was woken by J saying 'What a waste of electricity!' & turning off the TV.
There's just such a strange atmosphere after this election, it's like everyone's a loser & no-one quite knows where they are & I just had to feel really sorry for Nick Clegg, he just looked so tired & so devastated. But anyway looks like he & David Cameron are going to get together & perhaps they can turn things around.


No comments: