Translate

Saturday 13 February 2010

A difficult interview

Yesterday I went to Becky's house as I'd agreed her nephew could interview me for a project he's doing on 'the emotional aspects of physical disability' for his psychology degree. This nephew was born with major health problems & not expected to live, among other problems he has a curved spine, no abdominal muscles, short stature, deformed fingers, dyslexia & is doubly incontinent. He has had about 70 operations. He has been through so much & yet has achieved so much & is such a lovely person it sort of breaks my heart. I can't explain it really, people like that just get to me because they are so brave and compared to them I feel pathetic. Anyway this made the interview quite difficult for me, I was just so aware of how much worse his problems are I found it hard to talk about mine. Apart from which really I just don't like talking about my illness. I might whinge about it on here sometimes but normally I just don't talk about it. P had a major illness when he was young & he was the same, for years he hardly spoke about it. It wasn't until I too became ill that he felt even able to talk to me about it.
I just hope Becky's nephew does well in his degree & manages to get a job.

No comments: