Translate

Friday 1 July 2011

Solar heating

The other thing that happened yesterday was we got our solar heating fixed. For some time it has been making gurgling noises & making a horrible smell when it gets hot. I adopted the 'ignore it & it'll go away' approach for several weeks then on Monday suddenly got in a panic & thought 'what if it blows up'. The complication is that the firm who put it in have gone out of business although there's a rumour that they are trading under another name. You can however go on their website & leave your details & they'll forward them to a firm who can help you. After I'd done this I started thinking what if they just forward them to their new name & what if we get a load of cowboys doing it. This was the day our broadband started seriously playing up so I was trying to look on the web for firms & it was cutting out every few minutes. On Tuesday a lady phoned up & said she was from a solar heating firm & managed to convince me they're ok - just a one man band ie her husband. When I found out they live in the village I originally came from I thought they must be ok. Anyway he came yesterday, found there was a leaking joint through which ethylene glycol was dripping out & when it got hot it was making a burning smell. So hopefully it's fixed now. I don't like the thought of us breathing in all those fumes though. Thought solar heating was meant to be good for the environment.

No comments: