Translate

Friday 24 October 2008

Had a bit of a rough day yesterday, I felt so tired all day & had some episodes of heart beating fast again. Fell asleep after lunch & when I woke up I just didn't feel I had strength to go & get J. Phoned Becky & she picked him up for me & took him home & fed him & kept him until P picked him up at 7.30. What a life-saver!
Feel a bit better today, just sleepy, I think maybe it's the anti-dizziness tablets I've been taking. J is off school as it's a non-pupil day . It's now three hours since I asked him to do an exam paper & he's just sat down & started. I can understand him wanting to relax a bit this morning as it's effectively the first day of half term but we do really have to work this half-term though if he's to stand any chance in selective school exams. He's doing English which is his least favourite subject so there's a lot of groaning going on.
Another reason I was probably tired yesterday was having gone to Open Evening the night before. You're allowed to bring children with you & they play in the hall with a (brave!) teacher supervising them. There were a group playing an organised game just inside the door & they had to be told to stop to let me through in the wheelchair, then we had to cross the long strip of paper they were drawing on & left some tread marks. 'Wouldn't it be nice just to slip in unnoticed!' I said to P.
There was a long wait to see the teacher during which J attempted to cover whole strip of drawing paper with stick men & I wished other parents were able to just have a normal conversation rather than assuming expressions that seem to say 'that's J's mum who's in a wheelchair & I don't know what to say to her' & looking the other way. I also wished I had the sort of sparkling out-going personality which would overcome their reticence. But I haven't.
(J has just said that he can't do his test as he doesn't know enough & I've got a horrible feeling he's right.)
J could have come in to see teacher with us but he said he'd rather draw stick men ( & he probably saw expression of boy who came out before him who was commanded to come in with his Dad). Anyway his teacher said J's a pleasure to have in the class which is nice, although he's a bit quiet, apart from in science lessons. He showed us all these statistics & spider charts he'd produced as a result of tests J had done. I just wonder how accurate all these spider charts are, though. As a result of one question in one test he says J has to work at problem solving but for all we know he could do another fifty problem solving questions & get them right & for all we know one of the areas he's been scored 100% on could have been just a guess.
(J is currently moaning with almost physical pain, I keep wondering if I'd doing the right thing getting him to do these exams, but we've had loads of conversations about it & he says he wants to & he liked one of grammar schools a lot).
So we came home from open evening with a whole pack of paperwork showing us which areas to work on with J, but really we knew he needed to work on those areas anyway. What is a bit worrying is that in his science test where a few lines of writing were required he just didn't answer as he 'knew the answer but didn't know how to get it out of his brain'. Just have to keep saving up for psychologist's fee.

No comments: