Translate

Monday 29 September 2008

What I should have said yesterday was that it was really nice & sunny all weekend. We went crabbing on Saturday but J didn't catch any, maybe because the tide was low (I won't comment on fact that they had left bait in crabbing bag since last time we went, I'm not even going to start pondering the mentality of someone who would do such a thing, but there is definitely a whiff of decaying fish in the car).
Yesterday afternoon I just sat out in the 'garden' sunning myself, bliss.
This morning got off to bit of a rough start. We went through the forgotten to bring lunchbox home routine again but I'm getting used to that. Then I remembered the Christmas card. At J's school they are doing this thing where the children design a Christmas card then the parents send in a cheque & it's turned into proper Christmas cards. J had brought home his design & we'd noticed a smudge on it but then forgotten about it. At 8.30 I remembered it had to be back by today at the latest. So at 8.40 there he was sticking a snowball over the smudge. And there I was rifling through my handbag. In my bag there were 3 chequebooks. None of them had a cheque left in it.
I remembered we had a new chequebook under the heap on the table & then we were off. Except one of P's moccasins somehow wedged itself under the back door as I went out resulting in a major struggle to get the door shut. I needn't have bothered shutting it anyway as when P brought my deckchair in last night he hadn't locked French doors, a burglar could have just walked in.
But then something strange happened. Normally in the morning getting out of our drive involves several minutes of taking your life in your hands. But this morning I just sailed out. No traffic! Normally as you approach the zebra crossing by the school there's a long queue but not this morning, again I sailed through. So we weren't actually late after all. I don't know why there was so little traffic, it does happen occasionally & makes me feel uneasy as I wonder if the world's ended & no-one's told me. One morning I got to school at 8.50 without having seen a single schoolchild on the way in. Weird!

No comments: