Translate

Monday 3 October 2016

J off to uni

Quite a lot has happened over the last few weeks like we've been on holiday - to Wales and Ireland - and we've dropped J off at uni.

It was pouring with rain when we got to the uni but we were pleased that he had a downstairs room near the entrance with a disabled parking space right outside. On a good day I could even walk in. He has a very nice room with a large desk and an ensuite bathroom (wasn't like that in my day). He was soon happily assembling his computer and it wasn't too much of a problem that we hadn't brought the extension lead - when I saw it on the ironing board I thought someone had just forgotten to put it away - oops. Actually the couple of days between getting back from holiday and going to uni were a teeny bit on the chaotic side especially when we couldn't find his vaccination card which proves he's had the meningitis jab which he needed to bring. However the night before he went I woke up at 2 am and realised I'd actually put it in the new file I'd got for his documents but in a slot at the back then I'd labelled another slot 'medical'. Sigh.

I and most people who know me have been quite reasonably expecting me to be a soggy heap sobbing in a corner at this point in my life and it is hard - I was a bit weepy when we said goodbye and even though I was in the act of texting him as I walked through our door into a J-less house I still burst into tears. But seeing how happy and excited he was and what a nice room he's got has made it easier. I get these moments though when it just sorts of hits me that he's not here any more.

We have had a lot of texts - relating to what should he have for dinner, how to fry an egg, which church he should go to (settled on what he called a 'sort of Anglican one'), and er... how to wash up. Ok, we have a dishwasher,  when confronted by a sink, a sponge and a bottle of washing up liquid he didn't know what to do. Wonder if that qualifies me for some sort of bad mother award.

No comments: