Translate

Friday 7 October 2016

Good time in Ireland


This is Glendalough in Ireland. It's a very beautiful place and I've been there many times, the last about ten years ago. We went there with my uncle when we were over a couple of weeks ago and it had changed dramatically - there is now a visitor's centre with some very interesting displays and the tourists were arriving in coach loads. With so many people from different countries it was interesting comparing different nationalities and I have to say the Irish were by far the friendliest although the Americans scored pretty highly on helpfulness. Anyway, after those sweeping generalisations made from such a small sample, we had a very nice time in Ireland and it didn't rain until our very last day when it rained. We had several interesting days out and visited an exhibition on the famine and a workhouse museum and learnt some more about some of the terrible things that have happened in Ireland's past. Something I found really hard was how they split families up in the workhouse. I mean why? I know they wanted life to be harder in there than it was outside but why be that cruel?

When learning about Irish history it sometimes feels really strange being half English and half Irish.

Anyway as well as that we saw some beautiful scenery, wandered round lovely gardens and ate a lot of delicious food (love the food in Ireland), met up with family in a posh hotel in Dublin, me not having any smart clothes with me so turned up in my fleece, said an emotional goodbye to my 86 year old uncle, stayed in a really nice B&B on the last night so we'd be closer to the ferry and as the boat pulled into the harbour I saw my first ever seal and dolphins.

All in all a good time.

No comments: