Translate

Monday 24 August 2015

Flat leg

Having worked out how to get into the car I decided to see if I could get the plaster changed as I felt it had become a bit loose. They said I could come in on Tuesday. P tried to slightly complicate things by giving his date of birth instead of mine but they sorted it out and we didn't have to wait long. Yes it had got a bit loose as knee swelling reduced and it was rubbing a bit. The circular saw was a bit scary but it was nice to see my knee again and the operation wound looks like it's healing well. It was quite a quick job to put on a new cast. We headed off for a quick drink in the coffee shop then went through our getting-into-the-car routine and joined the queue to get out of the car park. And there we sat for a whole hour. I began to wonder if we would actually spend the entire rest of our lives there but finally we were out.

There were three people we met 'by coincidence' while I was in hospital - one was the woman from our old church whose mum had broken her hip, another was a couple who P used to work with - she prayed for me in the corridor and the other was a friend we hadn't seen for a while whose daughter had been admitted as she really wasn't well. The night of the operation when I really couldn't sleep, as the oxygen cylinder kept me awake by hissing, I spent praying for this girl which made me feel perhaps a little bit of good had come out of this whole experience.

Anyway we called round on the way home to drop off a card for her as she's been transferred to a unit elsewhere. Then after that we popped into Lidl to see if they'd got the biscuits J likes. If you think this is far too much for my first car journey you're right.

After we'd been home a while I thought my calf felt a bit squashed and my foot a bit numb. Then I felt the back of my leg and it was completely flat! Resting it on a hard surface while it set had obviously caused this to happen. I spent that night and the next morning wondering if I could cope with a flat leg and decided yes I could but not with numb toes so it was back again on Thursday. 

The nurse got P to hold my leg up for 30 minutes so it would set properly - you're a hero P.

No comments: