Translate

Tuesday 18 August 2015

Back Home But Not Easy

J was waiting on the road to direct the ambulance in (turn left by the teenager).
 
The ambulance man didn't really do his hernia any good getting me and the trolley up the ramp through our French doors and in to our living room but he was having his operation on the Monday anyway.


It just felt  a bit strange being back home, sitting there in my wheelchair with the leg sticking out. I was struck by the realisation that I couldn't go anywhere - not from the chair to the sofa, from the chair to bed, to the bathroom, anywhere without someone moving me.


Then I needed to go to the bathroom. As P pushed me through the dining area I saw my slipper-boots lying on the floor under the table where they'd been left when I fell. Instantly I burst into tears. I've heard this reaction is quite common after an accident. When my brother opened the shed door after coming home from hospital and saw that there was still a little bit of his hand attached to the bow saw he said it was definitely a wobbly moment.


There was a more immediate issue to deal with though - a bookcase would have to be moved in order for me, the wheelchair and sticking out leg to negotiate the tuen into the bathroom. So P and J were dragging a large wobbly bookcase, which looked like it would topple over at any minute, along the corridor and I was sitting in the wheelchair sobbing.


Getting me in and out of the bathroom was difficult and the sticking out foot-support narrowly missed the glass shower door. Getting me onto the sofa was difficult and getting me off again almost impossible. Getting me back into the bathroom again and ready for bed was difficult and so was getting me into bed.


Were we  going to be able to cope?

No comments: