Translate

Tuesday 18 August 2015

A comfortable bed

Two days before the accident we'd gone to Faith Camp (a large Christian camp run by Kingdom Faith Ministries) for the day. I'd found the teaching very powerful and had also attended the 'Healing School' seminar. This led me to start re-reading an old book called 'Your Healing Is Within You' by Jim Glennon (Hodder and Stoughton Ltd 1978 UK). I had brought this into hospital with me together with a book I'd bought at Faith Camp called 'Power Thoughts' by Joyce Meyer (Hodder  Stoughton 2011 UK). Both these books have themes of praising God and trusting Him whatever the circumstances.

Early the next morning a nurse came and helped me wash. Others came and told me that my husband and Dad had phoned. Apart from that I just lay on my trolley all morning, reading my books, praying for the other patients as they nervously went off for their operations and telling God I trusted Him and praised Him whatever was going to happen. I really think it was all the people praying for me that helped me to stay calm.

I was however still feeling very shocked and shaky and hungry.

Just before lunch-time a team of doctors materialised in front of me.

"Oh there you are, found you at last" said the consultant "we're going to operate to wire the pieces of bone together but we can't do it today - we'll do it tomorrow morning."

"Does that mean I can eat and drink?"

I had a turkey salad, the meat didn't look much like turkey, or even like meat really, but the salad was ok.

Then I was whisked away to an orthopaedic ward and a bed. 12 hours after the accident and I was in a snuggly-wuggly comfy bed. By coincidence someone we knew from our previous church was sitting visiting her mother in the same bay. The nurse assigned to me was lovely and I don't think I've ever seen anyone work so hard - I didn't see her stop moving at any time.

A couple of hours later I was told I was off to another orthopaedic ward and waved goodbye to my friend and 'nice nurse'.

On the new ward I had the luxury of a room of my own and for a small fee (well P said it wasn't really all that small) I had my own phone, TV, a selection of films and internet access. The internet was a bit hard to use - after 3 jabs it would open the email under the one I wanted so I gave up on it in the end but it was great to be able to chat on the phone with family and friends. There was also a bed whose head and foot could be moved independently at the touch of a button. I never did  quite get the hang of it and ended up in some rather strange positions.

In th end the operation took place on the Friday afternoon - two days after the accident. P and J had come in to visit and waved me off. I think it must have been the power of prayer keeping me so calm as I was wheeled off - I was really hardly nervous at all. The theatre staff chatted to me a bit then told me to imagine I was somewhere nice as they injected something into my arm:

"Where are you thinking of?"
"A beach."
"Where's the beach?"
"Brittany."
"What are you doing?"
"Paddling..."

That had been a wonderful holiday in Brittany ...

No comments: