Translate

Saturday 5 March 2011

Disabled rights

Sorry I haven't put my photos on yet, this is because I haven't got round to it.

Yesterday I went to new house group then rushed off to pick up Mavis to go to Women's World Day of Prayer whioch I thought was at 1.00 & turned out to be at 1.45 so we sat in car park for half an hour as having got a good parking space didn't want to lose it.

Service was very good, written by women of Chile but I felt this little bit of discontent. It's just that the organiser never asks me to do a reading or anything. There were supposed to be 4 people from our church dressed up as 'women of Chile' & Becky who goes to the Anglican church was asked to be one of them. I've got no particular desire to wear a poncho but I just wonder why she never asks me because people have always said my reading voice is ok. I just had this thought that if it's because I'm disabled what she's really doing without realising it is discriminating against me & there must be disabled women in Chile as well so why not represent them? But perhaps it's not that at all & she just doesn't think I'd do it well enough which is ok. Becky looked pretty good in her poncho which is the genuine article as she's been to Chile.

A similar thing happened with the new youth group at church. There was a meeting for people who might be interested & we both went, me in the wheelchair as my feet were so bad. Afterwards P got an email thanking him for coming & being prepared to help but the assumption seemed to be that I wasn't able to do anything. My feet might not have totally got their act together but I've got a brain & a mouth & 2 hands & I'm pretty nifty on my scooter. Hmm. I think I'm going to start campaigning for rights for disabled people in church. On the other hand do I really want to be cooped up with 15 teenagers for the evening?

Talking of which P & J both went to youth pancake evening at church last night & had a geat time except J put too much cinnamon on his pancake.

No comments: