Translate

Saturday 26 September 2015

A hoover belt and great news

It was back to the fracture clinic yesterday. My appointment was bang in the middle of visiting time so we knew we had to get there early. P had arranged to do some gardening for a neighbour for a couple of hours after school drop-off then come back and get me to the bathroom to get ready then a quick sandwich and head for the hospital.

As soon as they'd left for school Mavis (as in elderly lady at previous church whom we help out quite a lot) phoned: 

"Can you get me a new belt for my hoover?" 
"Yes, but I don't honestly know if we can manage it today, I've got an appointment at the hospital and it could be a long time."
 "Oh" sounding bit humpy "well can you get it by next Friday when my cleaner comes?"
"Yes we can definitely do that."

Anyway we got to the hospital an hour and a quarter early and got one of the last few spaces left in the car park. Went to the office to get my insurance form (which pays £11 for each night I was in hospital) stamped and they charged £10! £10 to put a rubber stamp on it. That's almost a whole night in hospital's worth.

We hung out in the coffee shop for a while then decided to register half an hour early. A few minutes later my name appeared on the screen so we headed to the clinic where I got into conversation with another woman in a wheelchair who had been on the same three wards as I had and had been in a room down the corridor from mine. This was cut short when I was told to go to x-ray where we waited for ages. When I got to see the consultant it was good news - the fracture has healed completely so I just need to work (hard) in getting the knee to bend and I can put weight on the leg. I can also take the brace off when I want.

Yippee! Thank you Lord!

I went home and with the brace still on and leaning on the walking frame I walked a few steps! I didn't think my feet would remember how to walk but they did.

I took the brace off while I slouched on the sofa and it felt so comfortable that I left it off in bed. I woke up in the early hours with my back and leg muscles complaining. I was awake for quite a long time waiting for the painkillers to work but it was ok - it was Saturday we could sleep late.

Mavis phoned at 7.30: had we got her hoover belt?

I tried to get back to sleep but couldn't so I got P to get me the laptop and ordered the wretched hoover belt from ebay. 

I did some knee bending and P measured the angle (which he seems to enjoy) and said it was 34 degrees. Wow!

I think I'll put the brace on when I'm in the car or out in the wheelchair to protect my leg from bumps and try and keep it off at home.

I have an ambition: to manage to get from the bedroom to the bathroom by myself. That would be wonderful.

No comments: