Translate

Tuesday 23 March 2010

Back to school

On Sunday I went back to school. Literally. J had an art workshop at the school I went to for the sixth form. I hadn't been back there since I was 19 & I had mixed feelings about it because really I wasn't at all happy there.

Anyway after a bit of a long drive we arrived & some it had changed & some of it hadn't. What was a brand new building when I was there had become a bit shabby looking. It just felt really strange being back. I kept expecting one of my teachers to appear round the corner. Sadly on the wall there was an obituary to one of the (nicer) teachers I had known.

The workshop was a life drawing class & the teacher asked for 3 parent volunteers. At this point we realised that apart from one other mum the parents had all headed for the far corner of the room & were keeping their heads down. So the 3 of us were models. We also joined in the drawing & it really was quite fun. The teacher was very good & the children were absorbed the whole time. J really enjoyed it. The modelling was a bit hard as it's quite difficult to stay absolutely still (& does my nose really look like that?). The teacher said that I was a very good example of foreshortening - sitting in the wheelchair my legs appear shorter than they really are.

We took a few photos & smuggled out a school information pack then headed for home.
Somehow having had a good time there with my family made the memories seem less bad.

And if my Biology teacher ever reads this - I've forgiven you.

No comments: