Translate

Saturday 26 July 2008

On Thursday we went on a 'first day of the holidays' outing to Hastings. Surprisingly we managed to leave home by 7.30 am & stopped on the way at a garden centre cafe so J could have some breakfast which ended up being a giant piece of lemon meringue pie. In a moment of weakness I had a piece of Victoria sponge which was really very nice & I thought it would be ok as I wouldn't have any dessert after dinner.
There is loads for kids to do in Hastings & we had a very good time even though it was swelteringly hot. We tried to walk to the castle but discovered it meant P pushing me up a very steep hill & he was turning redder & redder so we went to the aquarium ( where they had a giant octopus) & the shipwreck museum before driving up to the castle. There was a very interesting film called 'The 1066 story' & then we wandered round the castle. There isn't much of it left as it has been eroded away.
Then we discovered that I couldn't get to the 'Smuggler's Adventure' but I suppose it isn't easy to make a cave half way up a cliff wheelchair-accessible. So I sat in the car & had a nice rest looking out to sea. Anyway J really enjoyed it. Then we headed up to Rye & went past the hotel where P & I stayed 25 years ago (happy days!) & found a family-friendly Italian restaurant where they really did do pasta sauce just like my Mum used to make & J ate a giant pizza & when the owner said we really had to try their home-made squidgy chocolate cake I thought it would be rude to refuse.
Then we travelled home by rather a long way round. If you know where we live going home via East Grinstead simply isn't the best route but it was very scenic & a good day was had by all.

No comments: