Translate

Tuesday 17 March 2020

Mavis update

Mavis went from hospital into a nursing home. We went and looked round several, some of which were absolutely beautiful and usually astoningshly expensive. It turned out that the social worker had selected two cheaper ones and suggested we choose one. Both lacked the exquisite decor but the staff were really caring. We chose the one in the country and Mavis has been really happy there.

The awkward thing when we were looking round places was that, because of the wheelchair, the staff would assume I was the patient. The first time I just looked horrified and then wished I'd made a joke or just said 'Oh you thought it was for me' in a friendly voice but I didn't. I just looked horrified. The worst bit was when we went into a lounge and another woman in a wheelchair and smiled at me like 'I've got a new friend' but she hadn't. Well if Mavis had gone there I would have been her friend but she didn't.

Anyway it's good that Mavis is settled. We can't go and see her now though, not with the virus situation.

No comments: