Translate

Tuesday 6 October 2015

The beginning of the leaving process

Well the uni application has finally gone in. Now it's a question of playing the waiting game. J has had an acknowledgement from one uni which was nice of them. Even nicer would be an offer. 

Have been feeling a bit stressed about it all  - there was a bit of a muddle over which Maths modules he was doing, he wasn't happy about something in a reference and asked them to change it, don't know if they did and different teachers were giving different advice about personal statement and some of it I wasn't sure was right but then I don't know what constitutes a good personal statement anyway (didn't do them in my day) and I just felt maybe I'd failed him in some way if it wasn't good enough.

I think this ties in with the whole letting go thing which can be a challenge for us mums - I've spent so many years feeling responsible for protecting him and making life as good for him as I can but the time has come when I have to step back and let him get on with it and make his own decisions and that is hard

J is looking forward to uni and at the moment anyway he has no problem about leaving home and that's really good. When he goes there will be a massive gap in my life but I think now, with a year still to go, I need to think about how I'll fill it and not be just sitting around moping. Yes I will cry when he goes (hopefully not in front of him) but it will also be a new chapter for all of us with exciting opportunities.

Anyway these days with texting and skype presumably you can keep in touch a lot more than back in the days when  you had to save up 2ps for a call box which smelt like a public loo and hold the crusty receiver 9 inches from your mouth and yell 'Hello Mum' then realise you'd called in the middle of the Archers so no-one wanted to talk to you anyway.

Happy days.

No comments: