Translate

Saturday 21 April 2012

Easter and norovirus

We went away for Easter, to my brother's in Wales via Ironbridge. Ironbridge was really good, had a nice hotel right by river and enjoyed museums. Weather pretty terrible as in wet and very cold. On last day there got call to say my younger niece had norovirus but wasn't too bad. Decided to stay another night in Ironbridge and see how she was. Next day she seemed to be better and the following day was her birthday. We convinced ourselves it would be ok and drove to Wales through snow (!) but when got to my brother's it was hot and sunny. Niece had nice birthday (with her boyfriend!) but her norovirus symptoms returned. A couple of days later her sister went down with it then her granny (who lives there half the year) then my brother. My sister in law meanwhile had vague symptoms of feeling generally ill not sure what it was. We managed to have a nice Easter though and went to some really good services at the Anglican church and most of us went out for a meal on Easter Sunday. We were undecided as to whether we should head back home early while we were still well but were concerned that we might get ill on the journey. Sudden onset of vomiting in traffic jam on M25 not fun. Finally we decided to go back on Thursday, a day earlier than we'd intended. However my sore throat which had got almost better had got a lot worse and J went down with a sore throat too and we felt he wasn't well enough for the journey. On Thursday J stayed at home with my brother and P and I went round a seaside town and a craft centre and had a light lunch. Lovely sunny day, had a really good time. Went home, gave J some lunch, sitting at the table having a cup of tea when P turned white, grabbed a bowl and rushed to the bathroom where he spent most of the next couple of hours.
P was a lot better on Friday, though drained so we travelled back on Saturday. I'm just so grateful it didn't hit him while we were out or on our journey home.
Since we've been home J's throat is better and he's been at school all week and hasn't had any hint of norovirus. Meanwhile I've had a wretched week. First of all my arm started really hurting (possibly the result of bouncing a baby in Wales)  then my throat got bad again, then I started getting pains in my tummy  then I started feeling sick and dizzy which is how I'm feeling right now. I don't know if you can get norovirus mildly which is what's happening to me but I feel terrible and fed up. Illness go away.
 Good thing is that P's been off most of the week so he's done most of the school runs.

No comments: