Translate

Sunday 11 September 2016

Endings and beginnings


I really do love this time of year and it's showing signs of being an amazing autumn.  September always has a sense of excitement for me perhaps it's linking back to school days when at the beginning of each new year I would think 'Perhaps this year it will be better.' Sometimes it was, sometimes it quite spectacularly wasn't (thinks of Sixth Form Biology teacher and shudders).

Well we have a new beginning coming up as J will soon be heading off to uni which is hugely exciting for him but sort of mixed feelings for me. I will miss him hugely and have had some wobbly moments when I wallow in thoughts like 'It's the end of his childhood, have I done enough to equip him for the big wide world and I wish I'd been healed before he grew up (bit of an ouch one that). Then I get a grip and ok, I will be sad when he goes, there will definitely be moments but there is a huge amount for which to be thankful  - that he has the opportunity to go to uni for a start. I met a woman in hospital recently and something terribly tragic had happened to her family, so sad that I thought 'I'm going to pray for you every day for the rest of my life' and well, her daughter will never have that chance to go to college.

So keeping things in perspective he's off to uni, I'm really thankful and happy for him and we are going to visit him a few weeks after he starts (to take him anything he's forgotten) so it's really just a separation for a short time and before we know it he'll be home for Christmas. 

And in a way it is a new beginning for us too. And we have plans.

No comments: