Translate

Sunday 19 July 2015

Lobby Life



I spend quite a lot of my time sitting in lobbies while my family go upstairs to look at things. I took this picture at St John's College Cambridge while P and J were upstairs looking at accommodation. We only looked round three colleges on Open Day, although J had previously been round Trinity. The guide who showed us round Gonville-Caius (pronounced Keys) raced round at high speed and talked very fast so we didn't actually understand very much. He ended up racing up a flight of stairs and didn't mention that there was a disabled lift round the side. Never mind. The guides at St John's and Magdalene gave us tours just for the three of us and had a much more leisurely approach. When we went into the garden at Magdalene Rowan Williams was standing there (he's Master of the college)! P and I were being very embarrassing, nudging each other and saying "That's Rowan Williams". Anyway we went into their new building and the very nice and highly intelligent Science student showing us round couldn't find the key for the lift he said, so I sat in the lobby while they all went upstairs. While I was waiting there some people walked in, went over and pressed the lift button, got in and up it went. Then, while I was still waiting there, in walked Rowan Williams and he said Hello to me. Wow!

No comments: